The first marathon in Sabah was held in 1984 and it was called the Daily Express Sabah Marathon. The next marathon was held 23 years later in 2008 and it was called the Borneo International Marathon (BIM). BIM was organized by Championship Sport Events Sdn. Bhd., helmed by Mr. Andrew Voon as the Race Director as well as the person instrumental in organizing the Borneo International Marathon. The first BIM had three categories, 10km, 21km and 42km and was participated by a mere 529 runners.
In 2012, Kinabalu Running Club took over the organization of BIM from Championship Sport Events after the sudden passing of its founder. With a group of 10 volunteers, the event was able to continue and grow in popularity among local and international runners. In 2016, Borneo Marathon achieved its first milestone of 10,000 runners from over 50 countries.
Today, Borneo Marathon is a community-run event with over 1,000 volunteers. The event has the backing from Governmental bodies such as the Sabah Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Environment, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Kota Kinabalu City Hall, Royal Malaysian Police, and Health Department.
In 2016, UNICEF Malaysia partnered with Borneo Marathon to push campaigns aimed at children’s well-being. The first campaign was #thisability to advocate for the inclusivity of disabled children. This campaign introduced the new UNICEF 3km category especially for children with disability and their parents and carers.
The second year, UNICEF’s campaign of ‘Say No to Bullying, Yes to Kindness’ during Borneo Marathon encouraged children and adults to speak up and stand up to bullies.
Private sectors that have consistently supported BIM are Shangri-la’s Rasa Ria Resort and Spa, Shangri-la’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, KPJ, and Gleneagles Kota Kinabalu.
Sabah brands associated with the event are Rapidshutter and Little Italy (both since year one), Raintree Furnishing, K2, Tritonic, Lucy’s Kitchen, Gelato Lab, Juara Gym, Boon Creative Productions and Suria Sabah. Other brands include High5, Salonpas, AirAsia and ULTRON.
The course is certified by AIMS (Association of International Marathon and Distance Races) every year.
Since 2008, runners of Borneo Marathon have benefitted 25 charitable organizations and causes from around and outside of Sabah. They are:
|Categories||Time Limit||Reporting Time||Starting Time||Closing|
|Full Marathon||7 Hours||02:00AM||03:00AM||10:00AM|
|Half Marathon||3 Hours & 30 Minutes||04:00AM||05:00AM||08:30AM|
Q: My company is interested to be a sponsor, set up a booth or provide product sampling at the event.
A: Please contact the organizer at +6088218833 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: Can I cycle, roller-blade or use any other mode of motorized or mechanical vehicle.
A: No. Wheelchairs may be allowed, subject to organiser’s approval and specific rules.
Q: Can I follow the race if I am not a participant (in my car or by bicycle)?
A: Non participants are strictly not allowed on the race routes, either on foot or by any other means. The race routes will be blocked and controlled by the relevant authorities for the use of the participants only. No pets are allowed.
Q: What are the types of re-hydration fluids are available and where are the locations?
A: Water stations start at 3Kms after the start point and are available every 3Kms. Isotonic drink stations start at 6Kms and are available every 3 Kms.
Q: What do I get as BIM 2018 runner?
A: At the race pack collection, runners will be given their goodie bags, running bibs & timing chips. Upon completing the race within the respective category time limits, runners for all categories will get a finisher’s medal, finisher’s tee-shirt (only for full marathon) and finisher’s e-certificate available online.
Q: What if I am injured during the race and far from any medical support station?
A: There will be medical back-up crews on motorcycles and bicycles who will have radio communication with the stations and they can be identified by their vests with the words “Medical Support”, “Marshalls” or “Officials”. Please stop them for assistance.
Q: What is the average Temperature during the race?
A: Generally throughout the year, weather in Kota Kinabalu ranges from 29°C during rainy/cloudy days to 34-35°C during hot sunny days.
Q: Am I able to change race categories eg from 10KM to half marathon, from a full marathon to a half marathon or vice versa?
A: No. Changes are not allowed and no refunds will be provided if you are unable to participate for any reason whatsoever. You will still be entitled to your registration pack but there will be no timing chip and you will also not be entitled to any lucky draws at the end of the race.
Q: Why is there a time limit on the marathon?
A: Participants are strongly encouraged to finish the race within the stipulated time to relief traffic controls and to facilitate the prize giving and closing ceremony without distractions. Only full marathoners who have not completed the race after the full race time will be picked up by sweeper or medical support vehicles.
Q: Will transport be organized to and from the venue?
A: For those competitors who have prearranged transportation with the organizers, please click here to see details of pickup times and hotels.
- The electronic timing chip provided by the organiser must be used by all runners.
- All race winners must have a personal bank account as prize money will be banked in into their personal accounts. All prize money winners must sign a declaration that their personal address and bank account information provided to the organizer is correct. All prizes quoted in Malaysian Ringgit (RM).
- No refunds will be entertained once full payment is received. Confirmed registrations are not transferable to other persons. Registered runners are not allowed to change their categories once the registration is confirmed.
- BM2018 will be enforcing the cut off time for all categories. For the Full Marathon it will be 7 hours, Half Marathon 3 1/2 hours and 10Km 2 hours. Runners who exceed the cut off times will be ‘swept’ back to the Stadium. Race Bib swapping is illegal. This is especially important as emergency contacts are registered with the bib. This will also ensure that there is no cheating. If this should happen the runner will be immediately disqualified and the identity will be posted to all running events. For security reasons the Police, Dewan Bandaraya Enforcement Agency, Officials and Course Mashalls will not allow runners without a running bib. They will be stopped and taken off the course immediately for further action. Offenders will have their pictures taken and details shared to all Races.
ALL RUNNERS WILL GET THE FOLLOWINGS
- Running T-shirt 10km, Half Marathon & Full Marathon.
- Finisher’s medal for 10km, Half Marathon & Full Marathon (finish within cut off time).
- Finisher’s T-shirt for Full Marathon (finish within cut off time).
- Finisher’s Certificate for 10Km, Half Marathon & Full Marathon which can be obtained online (finish within cut off time).
- Goodie bag.